Laser resurfacing is a proven way of enhancing the appearance of your skin. It not only reduces wrinkles, age spots, acne scars, and unwanted hair, it will also tighten the skin and improve tone.
Because lasers can do so much, and there are so many competing products and promises on the market place, it can be difficult to choose the best treatment. It is very important to be informed, but it is also easy to be overwhelmed.
So, before you get lost on the Google information highway, lets step back from the hype and confusion and focus on some important things that you need to know when considering facial rejuvenation.
- Don’t get hung up on brand names, new gadgets, great deals, groupons, the latest article in Cosmo, or the newest “med spa” in your mall. The cosmetic world is full of ‘great new ideas’ that ended up with bad results and unhappy patients. I love a great deal as much as anyone. But your face is not the place to go with the lowest cost option. First, focus on your goals; what problems you want to address and what are the results you can reasonably expect to achieve. Second, find a plastic surgeon you trust and respect to help you to tailor the best treatment options for your skin type.
- Who performs your laser treatments will have a profound effect on your results. In the hands of a highly trained plastic surgeon, lasers are a safe and easy way to improve your appearance. But in the hands of a poorly trained practitioner, laser treatments can be dangerous, lead to bad outcomes, or simply waste your time and money. Choose the person to perform you procedure based upon experience, training, qualifications and trust.
- Different lasers are optimal for different treatments. If you aren’t being treated with the best laser for your skin and goals, you won’t get the best results. A professional with a long track record of success and access to numerous devices can choose the correct tools and treatment for you specific needs. Remember, if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Your plastic surgeon will have different lasers available and work with you to pick the right one for you
- Having dark skin tones is no longer a contraindication to laser treatments. While it is true that darker skin tones can experience pigment changes, there are now lasers that can safely treat darker skin types including Hispanic, Asian, Middle Eastern and African American without affecting tone. It is critical, however, to be certain that the correct device is used for those skin types. Your plastic surgeon will know what treatment is appropriate and safe for you.
- Plan on having multiple treatments. While a single treatment will address patient needs in some cases, multiple procedures will often be part of the treatment plan to achieve the best results. This trade-off comes with no down time and excellent long-term results. Treatments should be custom designed for each patient.
- Depending upon the procedure you choose, you may have some down time. Some treatments may require you to make adjust your social and work schedule for a few days. It is important to have a discussion with your Plastic Surgeon regarding the timing of your procedure and your tolerance for down time. Our office offers evening and weekend hours to help you heal on your own time and get back to work and play quickly.
- Certain medications and underlying medical conditions will affect the way your skin reacts to laser treatments. Your Plastic Surgeon will always take a detailed medical history, including any medications or medical supplements that might affect your recovery. Some acne medications can lead to poor healing or scaring following laser treatments. Over the counter medications including aspirin and non-steroidal anti-inflammatories can lead to bleeding. If you are prone to cold sores, laser treatments may lead to an outbreak. Your physician will want you to take medications before and after your treatment to help prevent post treatment cold sores and the problems associated with them. Cigarette smoking, diabetes and other chronic medical conditions can also delay healing and adversely impact outcomes. Your plastic surgeon will have a detailed discussion with you before your procedure and chose the best treatment for you.
Laser and light-based treatments can be a very safe, easy and effective way to maintain youthful appearance, healthy skin, and rejuvenate the aging face. Our team has been an international center of excellence in facial rejuvenation for over two decades.
Please contact our offices at The Mount Auburn Hospital in Cambridge Massachusetts or The Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital in Milton Massachusetts (www.rochmanmd.com) or WorldPath Health (www.worldpathmedicine.com) and schedule a consultation to learn what options are best for you